[DDI-users] New Geographic Tags in DDI

Wendy Thomas wlt at pop.umn.edu
Tue Jan 4 13:44:10 EST 2005

I'll send some along a bit later. However, check in the DTD, I believe it
has a pretty good explanation. This geographic information is definately
not a substitute for FGDC or other geographic file descriptors. It
provides a coordinate based searching approach for data file
identification. It provides the basic bounding box info and allows for one
or more bounding polygons (closer approximation of the geographic shape of
the area covered by the data file.

I'll see what I can dig up for you a bit later...sorry for the delay

wendy

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, A. Michelle Edwards wrote:

> Hello again all!
>
> Another question - is there any documentation available for the new tags dealing with Geo data?  Specifically tags 2.2.3.6 - 2.2.3.7?  I haven't been able to find anything on the DDI page..
>
> Also - has anyone used these and willing to show me an example?  We're trying to determine whether using the DDI standard would work for GIS data in our setting.
>
> Thanks again,
> Michelle
>

> ___________________________________
> A. Michelle Edwards, Ph.D.
> Academic Services, CCS
> Vehicle Services Bldg, University of Guelph
> Guelph, Ontario
> N1G 2W1
>
> PH: (519) 824-4120 Ext. 54539
> FAX: (519) 767-1620
> Email: edwardsm at uoguelph.ca

Wendy L. Thomas                          Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director		 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center              Email: wlt at pop.umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South