[DDI-users] When the Author of a DDI isn't the Archive

Mark R. Diggory mdiggory at latte.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 31 11:04:37 EDT 2005

Hello DDI community,

I'm working on a project for the VDC right now which I could use some
advice.

In a DDI the "docDscr" section is reserved for both the Author to
describe bibliographic information about the DDI-compliant document
itself as a whole (producer) and for the archive to describe the
document in their system (archive).

I see often that tools use this to propagate information about the
creation of the DDI (for instance Nesstar Publisher inserts info about
the software used to author the document). In a VDC we do likewise,
injecting a docDscr into any imported DDI content describing the
Instance within our system.

My question is the following: When the Author of a DDI isn't the
Archive, for instance, because it was produced external of the archive
but imported into the archive, should the Archive insert a DocDscr of
its own as well? Should it preserve the original docDscrs? These may
seem mundane or obvious questions, but there isn't any real policy
suggesting such.

In the case that we simply maintain docDscr for each, they can be
separated conceptually by their source="archive|producer". Is this
enough to maintain separate distinction? Is this enough to maintain
provenance? What if there are other other archival docDscrs present, is
there a policy for their preservation? How do we reuse them in our
system to maintain the provenance chain?

Finally, when attempting to document a chain of provenance on the study,
such information is very important. Not only am I referring to the path
this instance took to get into my archive, but also important
Acknowledgment, Access and  Usage policies which the originators would
require to be enforced by my archive. While its interesting to preserve
these things, its extremely difficult to use them for machine actionable
purposes. My challenge to the group is how do we support such "machine
actionable" capabilities in such a case. In my opinion, this is an area
that the DDI is very weak in functioning. What are your experiences with
using the docDscr to really maintain archival information that is useful
by our systems?

Looking forward to you opinion on the subject,
-Mark