[DDI-users] How to copy XML elements?

Andrew Arnott andrewarnott at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 08:06:04 EDT 2005

I would definitely recommend a script/program to handle the job. I've done
similar work by writing a program that copied <preQTxt> tags from one file
to another. Unfortunately, I just threw away the program after not using it
for years. It's not that hard though.

On 8/8/05, Fredy Kuhn <fredy.kuhn at sidos.unine.ch> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a technical question about XML file handling for DDI codebooks: We
> are currently indexing questions by adding Thesaurus keywords to DDI element
> 'concept' (within VAR, currently #4.3.2 in DTD V2). Example below.
>
> It happens now that we have two codebooks with identical variables (one
> codebook for german, one for french [the neverending language handling
> problems]), which should have both the same concept assignments per VAR
> section.
>
> For one codebook, the 'concept' additions have been completed. But how can
> I copy now the concept branches from one codebook to another, based on
> matching variable name attribute? I'd be happy to have some tips, templates
> or procedures.
>
> The quickest way would probably be to copy for each VAR the 'concept'
> branches with Notepad from one file to the other, even for these 1200
> variables! But this would be annoying and errorprone, and we lack anyway of
> good tools + knowledge for managing/manipulating XML files in general. Thus
> I'm curious to have your opinion how to proceed.
>
> Background: the Madiera project. For current indexing, we used Nesstar's
> Publisher V3. As XML 'editors', we have Stylus or XMLspy.
>
> Tell me if you need further information.
>
> -- An example --
> <var ID="V4" name="f10000" files="F1" dcml="0" intrvl="contin">
> <concept vocab="ELLST" vocabURI="..."> Elections </concept>
> <concept vocab="ELLST" vocabURI="..."> Election data </concept>
> <concept vocab="ELLST" vocabURI="..."> Geographical areas and countries
> </concept>
> -- An example --
>

> Best regards
> Freddy

Andrew Arnott
Web Developer
Brigham Young University
"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up
and hurry off as if nothing happened." -WC