[DDI-users] longitudinal data

Joachim Wackerow wackerow at zuma-mannheim.de
Thu Oct 14 08:20:58 EDT 2004

Hi Rob,

R.T.A.M. Grim wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've read about a special DDI-interest group for documenting longitudinal
> data. I'd like to subscribe to this group.
> Can anyone give me a hint how to proceed?
It doesn't exist an users group on longitudinal data, only this general
users group.

For further development of the DDI standard the DDI Alliance has a
working group "Comparative Data/Families of Datasets" (including
longitudinal studies). People of the member institutions of the DDI
Alliance are working in this group. See:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/org/index.html
http://webapp.icpsr.umich.edu/cocoon/DDI-GROUPS/expert.xml

> I'd also like to retrieve the messages that were posted on this subject, if
> im correct there's no keyword search, maybe there is a special digest for
> this subject?
As far as I know, there is no searchable archive of the DDI users list.
You could look at the archive at:
http://lion.icpsr.umich.edu/pipermail/ddi-users/

> Further, i've downloaded the ddi-dtd version 2.0 and found the document
> invalid.... Since i am a newbee to the fine details of ddi, which version of
> the dtd would this group recommend that can be used as a starting point for
> documenting longitudinal research.
Did you download also the tables.dtd, further down on the DTD page?
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/users/dtd/

With the current version (2.0) of DDI, you could use the element varGrp
to document a generic (concept) variable which points in the DDI
document of each single study to a specific variable with the same
meaning. This generic variable could be a documentation link between the
single studies.

Achim