[DDI-users] Automatic generation of variable-level metadata from SAS/SPSS files

Joachim Wackerow wackerow at zuma-mannheim.de
Tue May 4 09:39:02 EDT 2004

Hi,

another approach would be to use the OMS output facility of SPSS to
produce SPSS OMS XML and to transform this intermediary XML format to
DDI XML.

Structure:

study.sav + spssoms.sps -> study_spssoms.xml + spssoms2ddi.xsl ->
study_ddi.xml

Attached you will find a working XSL stylesheet. In the stylesheet
comments the specific SPSS commands are included.

It generates the DDI metadata for the variables and categories, also the
descriptive statistics.

This way works fine with me, feel free to use it or to extend the
stylesheet (it would be nice to see enhanced stylesheets at the
DDI-users list).

Regards, Achim Wackerow