[DDI-users] Re:Adding tags to the DDI (Andrew L Arnott)

I-Lin Kuo ikuo at icpsr.umich.edu
Tue Jan 20 14:05:44 EST 2004

Just a comment for the DDI instrumentation sub-committee.

There are two approaches to marking up this kind of information:

1) The existing DDI approach that Sanda is suggesting places the markup within
the <var> element itself.
2) Andrew's approach which places the markup outside the <var> element.

>From a technical point of view, I think the first kind of approach is inferior
-- it clutters up the variable with tags that (I feel) don't really belong in
<var>. In the case where multiple <var>s share the same question text or pre
question text or instructions or conditional branching, each variable must be
marked up with the identical redundant information. Andrew's approach of
collecting all the variables into a <vargrp> and then marking up the vargrp is
my preferred approach, but this has to be done more systematically.