[DDI-users] Formatting in question text

Mark R. Diggory mdiggory at latte.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 26 12:39:01 EST 2004

As someone who spends allot of time "rendering" DDI content, I have to
say I have mixed feelings about the inclusion of html into the content.
I tolerate it, but do not recommend it. HTML is presentation layer, not
DDI is in the Content Layer. Certain document structuring elements
layout <div> should not be in and XML document that is expressing data
content.

-Mark

I-Lin Kuo wrote:
> certain elements in the ddi allow formatting tags from the TEI namespace. The
> allowed formatting tags are
>
> <!ENTITY % e.form    'div|emph|head|hi|itm|list|p'                     >
>
> Not all elements admit TEI tags, however. You will have to check the DTD to see
> if the element you want marked up allows TEI formatting tags. If it does, then
> it will look something like this:
>
> <!ELEMENT sampProc     (#PCDATA|txt|concept|%a.phrase;|%e.form;)*        >
>
> with "e.form" in it.
>
> By the way, I just want to voice my opinion that the choice of TEI tags rather
> than HTML was a poor choice.
>

> Quoting Andrew L Arnott <relate_webmaster at byu.edu>:
>

>>Hey everyone,
>>
>>Since the schema is closed, I can't put italics or other formatting in the
>>question text of my variables using HTML tags.  I have seen disguising the
>>formatting markup using identities like this:
>>This is my &lt;em&gt;specially formatted&lt;/em&gt; question
>>To essentially get this:
>>This is my <em>specially formatted</em> question
>>
>>My problem with this is an XSLT transforms the DDI into browser HTML, and I
>>don't know how to write code to reverse this disguising process.
>>
>>Has anyone done this, or have other ideas on how to accomplish this?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Andrew Arnott

Mark Diggory
Software Developer