[DDI-users] Formatting in question text

I-Lin Kuo ikuo at icpsr.umich.edu
Thu Feb 26 12:08:43 EST 2004

certain elements in the ddi allow formatting tags from the TEI namespace. The
allowed formatting tags are

<!ENTITY % e.form    'div|emph|head|hi|itm|list|p'                     >

Not all elements admit TEI tags, however. You will have to check the DTD to see
if the element you want marked up allows TEI formatting tags. If it does, then
it will look something like this:

<!ELEMENT sampProc     (#PCDATA|txt|concept|%a.phrase;|%e.form;)*        >

with "e.form" in it.

By the way, I just want to voice my opinion that the choice of TEI tags rather
than HTML was a poor choice.

Quoting Andrew L Arnott <relate_webmaster at byu.edu>:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Since the schema is closed, I can't put italics or other formatting in the
> question text of my variables using HTML tags.  I have seen disguising the
> formatting markup using identities like this:
> This is my &lt;em&gt;specially formatted&lt;/em&gt; question
> To essentially get this:
> This is my <em>specially formatted</em> question
>
> My problem with this is an XSLT transforms the DDI into browser HTML, and I
> don't know how to write code to reverse this disguising process.
>
> Has anyone done this, or have other ideas on how to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Andrew Arnott

I-Lin Kuo
Programmer/Analyst II