[DDI-users] How to code repeated elements?

Mercurio, Rocco Mercurio at edc.pitt.edu
Fri Feb 13 10:30:51 EST 2004

First of all, I usually set forms/questionnaires up in a table format, using
multiple columns for repeated questions.  This way, questions can be
asked/read once without painful repetition.  The trick to this, however, is
to be able to "clearly" label each header so that all of the
respondent/interviewer knows to answer all columns.

As per coding, I simply attach a number after each variable name (i.e.,
var1, var2, etc.).  In the long run, variables labeled this way are easily
sorted as well as managed.  As a SAS user, I do this whenever I can.

Hope this helps.
Rocco