[DDI-users] RE: Section 3 - File Description Interpretation

Wendy Thomas wlt at pop.umn.edu
Mon Apr 26 14:13:50 EDT 2004

I have a library degree, but have primarily worked with data over the many
years. In terms of sections 1 and 2 librarians (and knowledge of these
cataloging practices) is really helpful. What I've found as a librarian
and working with other librarians explaining data sets both pre and post
DDI is that when it comes to the set of Dublin Core elements if you aren't
a librarian you might want to consult one. These are the areas used by
standard higher level search systems and the more standard and compatible
the contents are the more likely someone will be to locate your materials.

However, when it comes to sections 3 and 4 its a different ball game. This
is where someone who understands data files, their structures and their
content is really helpful unless you have been lucky enough to get
documentation in another format that is clear and complete.

It also depends on how and by whom your metadata will be used. Discovery
(of the study) is something librarians know very well. They understand
structured subject headings and how to define (in words) those things that
are often implied (and missed in key word searching). Programmers who are
trying to set up software to run off of DDI content have another set of
expectations in terms of consistancy and use of certain fields. Users need
intelligent access to category level terms, methodology information, and
glossary materials as well as the basic 'data dictionary' content.

Of course this is my personal bias....so read it within that context

Wendy