[DDI-users] two DDI questions

Julie Linden julie.linden at yale.edu
Thu Apr 15 12:03:27 EDT 2004

Greetings, DDI users,

I have two questions about elements in the Study Description section of
the DDI.

1) How do I correctly construct the "source" attribute to specify an ISO
standard? I'm using the <nation> element, and want to use attributes to
specify the country code and the ISO standard that is the source for that
country code. Is the following example correct?

<nation source='ISO 3166' abbr='mx'>Mexico </nation>

2) If I'm reading this correctly (which I may not be), the Place of
Production element <prodPlac> does not
allow for a "role" attribute. The Version 2.0 DTD describes the attribute
list for prodPlac as:

<!ATTLIST prodPlac  %a.global;

But what is the global list of attributes? Is it what's described on this
page: http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/users/dtd/elements.html ? It sounds
likely, but that page doesn't specifically say "global" anywhere...so I'm
wondering if there's another global list of attributes I'm overlooking.

Thanks for any advice,
Julie

Julie Linden
Data & Government Information Librarian
Social Science Libraries & Information Services
Yale University
+1 203 432 3310
julie.linden at yale.edu