[DDI-users] Capturing more metadata about dataFiles and otherMats

Mark R. Diggory ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:15:31 -0500

Hello all,

It seems to me, IMHO, that the <othermat> and <filedscr> tags provided
in the DDI don't really provide adequate metadata about file based
resources (and possibly db based resources as well).  Has there been any
thought about adding more salient attributes for these things? Something
more along the lines of METS file tag.

<file ID="FILE003" MIMETYPE="audio/mpeg" SIZE="8238866"
CREATED="2001-05-18" FILENAME="beame.mp3">
            <FLocat LOCTYPE="URL">
                http://dlib.nyu.edu/tamwag/beame.mp3
            </FLocat>
</file>

We need to store more info for things like mimetype and fileName hints.
While there is a <fileName> tag for fileDscr's, its definition is vague
and simply suggests some "title" for the file. Also there is nothing
similar in nature for otherMats, fields like labl and notes are somewhat
too vague and too generalized.

Are there any thoughts on this?

thanks,
Mark