[DDI-users] A "home" for the DDI

Mark R. Diggory ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:02:58 -0400

One very good future goal on the site:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/codebook/future.html

*Identifying an ultimate "home" for the DTD where it will be maintained
and revised when necessary*

I think getting the DDI under CVS control is critical to establishing a
stable location for it. CVS versioning is critical to both tracking
changes and accessing previous revisions.

sourceforge.org is a free, stable, version controlled location to house
such content with $0 expense and minimal management overhead.
Sourceforge provides a large number of free services as well for group
mailing lists, feature requests, bug tracking etc to enhance the groups
envolvement.

It would be relatively simple to get a sourceforge site up to hold the
DDI DTD's, Schemas and related tools in such a fashion that a small
group of core Alliance developers/members could easily manage version
control and development independent of its "deployed" state on the ICPSR
site.

Also, by exposing both the "development" and current published versions,
we would create a "transparent" development environment where all
interested alliance partners can respond easily and influence the
advancement of the DDI at a development level as an OpsenSource project.
It is possible then that group members can and even provide patches of
changes that can be reviewed by the core team and applied to the cvs
copies directly. Alliance members who are very interested in development
  could be "voted" in to have cvs committer rights on the site similar
to the strategy used by the Apache Foundation.

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html

Having worked in CVS systems quite a bit for both the Virtual Data
Center project at HMDC and also for Apache Foundation projects, I have
observed how strong the influence of simply having shared CVS version
control can have on community involvement.

I think such a transparent centralized location would really be very
critical to the future of the DDI. I have a couple sourceforge projects
going at this point, and I would be glad to lend a hand in the
establishment of a DDI Project on the sourceforge site.

-Mark Diggory
Harvard MIT Data Center