[DDI-users] XML editors

Sanda Ionescu ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:07:17 -0400

Hi.
I am a great fan of the Nesstar Publisher - have used it a lot and I think
it is by far the best tool available for producing DDI documents.
Still, my view is that XML editors should not be dismissed too easily -
they are also in different ways perhaps, invaluable tools. They allow
"direct contact" with the DDI, "force" you to become familiar with it,
guide you through its usage, and most importantly allow you to validate
your documents and correct errors if any are found.
Even a tool like the Publisher is limited in the number of elements and
especially attributes that one can use and therefore loses some of the DDI
potential.
Ideally, I think, the selection of tags, as well as our choice of
conversion tools and applications should be governed by the goals we try to
achieve through using the DDI, rather than make our goals dependent on the
ease of using certain pieces of software.
What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that knowing the "big picture" allows
one to make more informed decisions, and that increases efficiency in the
long run.

Elizabeth,
No, I'm not aware of any particular reason that <conditions> cannot be
repeated.
If you really think that it should be changed, I think you should present a
proposal to this effect to the DDI Alliance, showing the reasons you want
it to be repeatable.

Sanda Ionescu
Research Associate
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR)
330 Packard St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Phone: (734) 615-7890