[DDI-users] Re: Lets make DDI more user-friendly

Simon Musgrave ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:01:01 +0100

Dear all

I can confirm that it is not essential to use Nesstar server and clients to
benefit from the Nesstar publisher. The publisher can be used independently
to produce just the metadata and the data can also be exported in a wide
variety of formats. The only reference back to the Nesstar Publisher will
be a field in the document description that says how the DDI files was
created. Of course there may be some idiosyncrasies in our use of the DDI,
but hopefully as we all work together in this venture we will gain a better
understanding of the best use of all the fields.

Best

Simon

At 09:11 21/04/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Everybody has offered good ideas.  Until we can get training workshops up
>and running (or an on-demand online tutorial up and running), it seems the
>best advice is to (a) avoid XML editors, which are not customized to the
>DDI and (b) use one of the publishing tools that understands the DDI, such
>as NESSTAR.  I don't think that one is permanently bound into NESSTAR if
>one uses the NESSTAR publishing tool.  There are almost certainly similar
>publishing tools; we have found it possible to move from SPSS Portable
>files to SDA-compatible files, and SDA is working on or is already
>offering DDI compatibility.
>
>--------------------------------------
>Richard C. ROCKWELL
>Executive Director, The Roper Center &