[DDI-users] DDIing (was: Lets make DDI more user-friendly)

Reto Hadorn ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:31:44 +0200

The DDI does not have to be any more user friendly than any other FORMAT.
User friendliness is to be looked for on the level or the applications
generating DDI-XML. The Nesstar Publisher is certainly a good example of
such applications. There are other around. There could be some Webb address
with a short presentation of those tools and links ot the purveyors.

What makes it difficult to DDI supporters is that
- we are so software independent with that XML-format that we have just a
few applications able to use it in a sensible manner; actually, we are tied
to those few applications (Nesstar Publisher and cousins).
- the publicity for and the documentation of the existing tools is perhaps
still unsufficient
- there is information around about "How I made it" (a lot of presentations
at IASSIST conferences) but not available on line in a pedagogical form
really usable for beginners.

You have to think of a workflow for entering and managing metadata, which
is appropriate to your situation, and then choose (or make) the tools,
define the rules. At SIDOS we set on relational databases for metadata
capture and management. User-friendliness depends then on the design of
forms and organisation of the entry process. One the information
structured, the production of DDI-XML files can use several different ways:
- Producing the whole file from within the databases,
- Producing basic DDI files extracting SPSS info with Nesstar Publisher,
making a program, wich picks the appropriate information in the databases
holding the metadata.
- etc.

Most of the services, which made the initial online publications using
DDI-XML already had databases for their metadata at the time they made
those publications. Sometimes, adaptations had to be made, and
complementary work was sometimes made with rather crude means. But
something already was there. It cannot be as easy for those starting from
scratch.

So, an additional ressource would be an online documentation of the
work-flow and tools used at several places, wich already did publish
successfully.
- Structure of metadata as available
- Instruments as available
- Extended work-flow for publication with DDI
- Complementary tools used.
The work-flow is as important as the tools.

So, we could leave the DDI be what it is, a format.

Regards

Reto Hadorn