[DDI-users] Re: Lets make DDI more user-friendly

Fredy Kuhn ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:37:16 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C306AB.1589C2F0

Hi Jyoti, and all the others,

fully agree with you - researchers should use these standards in a =
self-explanatory way, without nessecity to deal with them on the =
technical level, and in fact, XML is only an exchange standard for =
software ...

We just jumped into the EU funded project 'Metadater', which should have =
as an outcome an application which allows researchers to create/edit DDI =
compatible research descriptions (MD-COLL, our part), which can easily =
be passed to archives (MD-PRO) that follow this standard. Although =
Metadater will deal mainly with the 'most complex surveys' =
(cross-sectional, longitudinal, etc.), it should also handle simple =
research designs.=20

I don't know how you tried to apply the DDI standard, but I found XML =
editors not very useful for authoring needs. You could try the Nesstar =
publisher v2, allowing you to create DDI compliant sheets, from scratch =
or from existing survey data, with or without publishing them to a =
Nesstar server at the end. And without the need to know a lot about =
these standards. (But still to know: it's made for the Nesstar suite. =
See www.nesstar.com )

Hope you will see more soon on www.metadater.org

Regards
Fredy Kuhn