[DDI-users] Lets make DDI more user-friendly

Richard C. Rockwell ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:56:07 -0400

--=====================_5113625==.ALT

Would training workshops have helped you, Jyoti?  How about examples of DDI
documentation that may be closer to the kinds of data with which you are
working?

At 10:42 AM 4/16/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone:
>I am a doctoral student trying really hard to use DDI specifications for a
>research project.  However, I am jumping all different hoops trying to
>figure out the HOW TOs and what is the right software to use.
>
>There have been some folks on this listseve who have been extremely
>helpful with their suggestions, thanks to them.  However, I think that if
>researchers do not get clear guidelines and instructions (esp. people like
>me who have no clue about HMT, XML, XSLT and so on) they would not bother
>to use the DDI specifications, solely because the "learning curve IS quite
>steep".
>
>Trying hard,
>Jyoti Savla
>Department of Child & Family Development
>University of Georgia
>

>Do you Yahoo!?
><http://us.rd.yahoo.com/search/mailsig/*http://search.yahoo.com>The New
>Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.

--------------------------------------
Richard C. ROCKWELL
Executive Director, The Roper Center &
Institute for Social Inquiry
Professor of Sociology
University of Connecticut
341 Mansfield Road, U-164
Storrs, CT 06269-1164  USA
V +1 860 486-4440
F +1 860 486-6308
Richard.Rockwell@uconn.edu
--=====================_5113625==.ALT

Would training workshops have helped you, Jyoti?&nbsp; How about examples
of DDI documentation that may be closer to the kinds of data with which
you are working?<br><br>
At 10:42 AM 4/16/2003 -0700, you wrote:<br>
I am a doctoral student trying really hard to use DDI specifications for
a research project.&nbsp; However, I am jumping all different hoops
trying to figure out the HOW TOs and what is the right software to
use.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
There have been some folks on this listseve who have been extremely
helpful with their suggestions, thanks to them.&nbsp; However, I think
that if researchers do not get clear guidelines and instructions (esp.
people like me who have no clue about HMT, XML, XSLT and so on) they
would not bother to use the DDI specifications, solely because the
&quot;learning curve IS quite steep&quot;.&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp;<br>
Trying hard,<br>
Jyoti Savla<br>
Department of Child &amp; Family Development<br>
University of Georgia<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br><br>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
New Yahoo! Search</a> - Faster. Easier. Bingo. </blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
--------------------------------------<br>
Richard C. ROCKWELL<br>
Executive Director, The Roper Center &amp; <br>
Institute for Social Inquiry<br>
Professor of Sociology<br>
University of Connecticut<br>
341 Mansfield Road, U-164<br>