[DDI-users] Passing line breaks to DDI-XML, continued

I-Lin Kuo ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:30:08 -0400

There's a philosophical division within the DDI about using formatting tags
within
the DDI. Some feel that XML should be about content only. Others, like you,
are concerned with the readability of elements containing long text.

Part of the difficulty of the problem is getting people to understand the
difference
between HTML problems and XML problems. The lack of paragraphs and returns
and tabs in the DDI display is an HTML problem -- this only occurs if
you're using
a browser to look at your XML. If you use a text editor, there isn't an
issue. On the
other hand, the lack of <b> and <ul> elements is an XML "problem."

As a compromise, a very limited set of formatting tags from the TEI
standard have been
adopted (see the development version 1.3 of the DTD at
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/CODEBOOK/codebook1-3.html) -- div, emph,
head, hi, itm, list, label. These are the only allowed formatting tags
within the
the DDI. The use of the html elements is not allowed and will cause your
document not to validate against the DTD. I would guess that Publisher2
displays your html markup correctly because it is not validating against
the 1.3 development version of the DTD.

Thus, at the current date, I would recommend that you use only the DTD-allowed
formatting tags.

On the other hand, I'd like to state my opinion that the implementation
choice of
choosing TEI formatting tags over their HTML counterparts is an incorrect one.
Content tagged with TEI cannot be displayed as is within a browser. This
forces an extra conversion step to convert the TEI tags when displaying in the
browser, the most common display method. HTML is a well-known standard
while TEI is only well-known within a small (but important) academic niche.
This increases the already considerable learning curve/implementation barrier
to using the DDI for both processors and programmers (albeit only slightly).
It is my hope that the DDI  will reconsider the choice of TEI over HTML
tags....