[DDI-users] Usage of DDI for biomedical research

Reto Hadorn ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:30:23 +0100

--=====================_357252141==_.ALT

Well, I would put the species into the universe element rather than the=20
analysis unit. And my understanding of what you really mean with the phrase=
=20
"microbiological information" is not good enogh to have any opinion on its=
=20
place in the DDI.

More generally, I would like to formulate some... general ideas.
- It is a good idea to build on an existing DTD. In this case, you give the=
=20
DDI an indirect support.
- The DDI DTD would probably suit better epidemiological research thant=20
microbiological experiments.
- Beware from hijacking elements for other uses than those corresponding to=
=20
their definition: this may be confusing. To be efficient in the long term,=
=20
information management must rest on clear definitions and use of the=20
categories according to the definitions.
- Where needed don't hesitate to adapt the tag library, so users in your=20
field know exactly what is the use of the elements. If social science and=20
biological databases have to be integrated for some reason, it is better to=
=20
map elements that to have multiple definitions from the start.
- Whenever you really WANT that a piece of information to be handled=20
systematically, define appropriate elements and attributes. So, microarrays=
=20
and types of proteins may well be put in different elements.

I think the social scientist working on the DDI would be very interested in=
=20
the additions you would have to do to the DTD from your perspective. This=20
could make it easier to extend the DDI for psychosocial experiments, just=20
to make an examle...

Best wishes

Reto Hadorn

S I D O S
    (Swiss information service and
    data archive for the social sciences)
Ruelle Vaucher 13
CH -2000 Neuch=E2tel
Suisse / Switzerland
http://www.sidos.ch

Reto.Hadorn@sidos.unine.ch

Tel. INT + 41 32 721 20 03
Fax: INT + 41 32 721 20 74

At 30.10.2002, you wrote:
>I am a Web Developer Librarian at UT Southwestern Medical Center in=20
>Dallas.  I am considering proposing a project to develop a portal for=20
>campus researchers to share lab notes, pre-print papers, and datasets,=20
>among other things. I have been scanning the Web and literature to find a=
=20
>good data model or DTD for describing biomedical research and have not yet=
=20
>found one.
>
>The DDI is the closest I've been able to find,  but I am not sure of its=20
>viability to describe the kind of research being conducted here. For=20
>instance, I imagine there will be a need to include the species of=20
>subjects (i.e. humans, drosophila, mouse, etc.), as well as some extension=
=20
>for microbiological information (i.e. use of microarrays, types of=20
>proteins, etc.).
>
>Is anybody aware of an application of DDI to biological or biomedical=20
>research?
>
>Thank you very much for your assistance.
>

>Karen R. Harker, MLS
>UT Southwestern Medical Library
>5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
>Dallas, TX  75390-9049
>214-648-1698
><http://www.swmed.edu/library/>http://www.swmed.edu/library/

Reto Hadorn

S I D O S
    (Swiss information service and
    data archive for the social sciences)
Ruelle Vaucher 13
CH -2000 Neuch=E2tel
Suisse / Switzerland
http://www.sidos.ch

Reto.Hadorn@sidos.unine.ch

Tel. INT + 41 32 721 20 03
Fax: INT + 41 32 721 20 74
--=====================_357252141==_.ALT

Well, I would put the species into the universe element rather than the
analysis unit. And my understanding of what you really mean with the
phrase &quot;microbiological information&quot; is not good enogh to have
any opinion on its place in the DDI.<br>
More generally, I would like to formulate some... general ideas.<br>
- It is a good idea to build on an existing DTD. In this case, you give
the DDI an indirect support.<br>
- The DDI DTD would probably suit better epidemiological research thant
microbiological experiments.<br>
- Beware from hijacking elements for other uses than those corresponding
to their definition: this may be confusing. To be efficient in the long
term, information management must rest on clear definitions and use of
the categories according to the definitions.<br>
- Where needed don't hesitate to adapt the tag library, so users in your
field know exactly what is the use of the elements. If social science and
biological databases have to be integrated for some reason, it is better
to map elements that to have multiple definitions from the start.<br>
- Whenever you really WANT that a piece of information to be handled
systematically, define appropriate elements and attributes. So,
microarrays and types of proteins may well be put in different
elements.<br>
I think the social scientist working on the DDI would be very interested
in the additions you would have to do to the DTD from your perspective.
This could make it easier to extend the DDI for psychosocial experiments,
just to make an examle...<br>
Best wishes<br>
Reto Hadorn<br>
S I D O S<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; (Swiss information service and <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; data archive for the social sciences)<br>
Ruelle Vaucher
13&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
CH -2000 Neuch=E2tel<br>
Suisse / Switzerland<br>
 eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.sidos.ch</a><br>
Reto.Hadorn@sidos.unine.ch<br>
Tel. INT + 41 32 721 20 03<br>
Fax: INT + 41 32 721 20 74<br>
At 30.10.2002, you wrote:<br>
Librarian at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.&nbsp; I am
considering proposing a project to develop a portal for campus
researchers to share lab notes, pre-print papers, and datasets, among
other things. I have been scanning the Web and literature to find a good
data model or DTD for describing biomedical research and have not yet
found one. </font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
am not sure of its viability to describe the kind of research being
conducted here. For instance, I imagine there will be a need to include
the species of subjects (i.e. humans, drosophila, mouse, etc.), as well
as some extension for microbiological information (i.e. use of
microarrays, types of proteins, etc.).&nbsp; </font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
biomedical research? </font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Karen R. Harker, MLS<br>
UT Southwestern Medical Library<br>
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.<br>
Dallas, TX&nbsp; 75390-9049<br>
214-648-1698<br>
<a=
 href=3D"http://www.swmed.edu/library/">http://www.swmed.edu/library/</a></b=
lockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Reto Hadorn<br>
S I D O S<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; (Swiss information service and <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; data archive for the social sciences)<br>
Ruelle Vaucher
13&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
CH -2000 Neuch=E2tel<br>
Suisse / Switzerland<br>
 eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.sidos.ch</a><br>
Reto.Hadorn@sidos.unine.ch<br>