[DDI-users] Storing XML

Joachim Wackerow ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Wed, 06 Nov 2002 15:41:20 +0100

Hi I-Lin,

I am interested in how you use Oracle for storing the DDIs:

- Do you store the whole DDI file of a study in one XMLType field?
- Is it possible to update only some DDI fields inside the XMLType?
- Is the XPath capability of Oracle enough for your needs?
- How is the performance doing queries to the XMLType?

Together with colleagues of the German Microdata Lab (ZUMA) I am working
on a information system on microdata (MISSY). The system should provide
information (not the data) on the German Microcensus (a yearly census of
1% of the population from the Federal Statistics Bureau) for interested
social science researchers.

The first plan was to store the DDI-compatible information in a
relational database. In a first prototype we made a mapping of the
database schema to some DDI tags. But a mapping of the whole DDI to the
database schema seems to be very complicated, and very unefficient in
transferring the information between the both data models. So we are
considering to store the DDI XML files in a XML enabled database or in a
native XML database. At ZUMA we have also Oracle.

Generally the XML native databases are still in a fast development
process. XQuery and XUpdate implementations are still rare. As I know,
Oracle hasn't XQuery or XUpdate capabilities.

Regards, Achim