[DDI-users] Storing XML

I-Lin Kuo ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:17:31 -0500

Hi Andrew,

Here at the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research
(ICPSR), we're converting all our existing codebooks into DDI format and
developing a database to enable us to search for variables across all the
different survey codebook DDIs. We are using Oracle 9i.

The choice of Oracle 9i is due to the fact that we have a site license, but
nonetheless, it has pretty good XML capabilities (Oracle 8i and SQL Server
are far behind Oracle 9i in this respect, and would not have been suitable
for our needs), including:

         - limited XPath capability
         - storing XML fragments in an Oracle native XML format (XMLType)
         - full-text indexing within a field of XMLType
         - output directly into XML or XSLT via Oracle's XSQL
         - ability to store XML directly using object technology without
having to map tags and attributes to database fields

I haven't looked at Xindice or Tamino, because 9i was good enough for us.