[DDI-users] Storing XML

Mark R. Diggory ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 11:44:51 -0500

Hi Andrew,

This is a shameless plug for a system we have been developing.

We are working on an Opensource Digital Library System that utilizes the
DDI are its primary storage XML format. This system is primarily for
Social Science Reseach data such as that published at the ICPSR. It
provides Indexing/Searching capabilities and server side data analysis
tools for subsetting and manipulating the datasets. We are preparing for
a software release towards the end of this year.

Feel free to find out more about this project at the following sites:

http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu
http://www.thedata.org
http://thedata.sourceforge.net

We have a couple production systems running at Harvard. This is an older
version of the "Virtual Data Center". But will be upgraded to our
release version once it is completed.
http://vdc-prod.hmdc.harvard.edu

-Mark Diggory
Project Manager / Software Engineer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

p.s. We currently archive the DDI's in a custom repository backed by
Postgresql. I have been researching eXist http://exist.sourceforge.net
or Xindice as a possible future Repository Implementations and have some
rudimentary Tests/Implementations in the works.