[DDI-users] More questions about source attribute

Elizabeth Bennett ddi-users@icpsr.umich.edu
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 15:17:25 -0500

How do other DDI users handle the source= attribute in nested elements?
I'm especially interested in what you do when there are nested elements
with different attributes. For example, suppose you are marking up the
Data Access section. Some of the elements in this section are provided
by you (archive) and some by the PI for the study (producer). What
attribute would you use for the entire Data Access section, which
contains information from both archive and producer?

<dataAccs source="????">
	<setAvail source="archive"></setAvail>
	<useStmt source="producer"></useStmt>
</dataAccs>

Also, in the sample codebook at 6084rev.xml (CBS News Poll #2), I see
that some fields that were clearly provided by ICPSR are nonetheless
tagged source="producer". But shouldn't these by source="archive"? I'm
thinking of e.g. <verResp source="producer">Mary Vardian, ICPSR
Editor</verResp>. This information presumably wasn't provided by CBS
News, so why is it tagged source="producer"?

I'm sorry if these are basic questions, but I'm truly puzzled by them
and will appreciate your help.

--Elizabeth Bennett, CPANDA
ezb@princeton.edu