[DDI-users] Passing line breaks to DDI-XML

Fredy Kuhn fredy.kuhn@sidos.unine.ch
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:08:30 +0200

Hi all,

I'm new to this group. Working at the Swiss archive SIDOS, we are busy =
preparing our dataset documentations for a common DDI based CESSDA data =
catalogue, to be published one day by Nesstar. I'm programming an =
interface which exports our database contents to DDI-XML-files.

Here one of my questions:

Some database fields (abstract etc.) contain simple formatting =
(paragraphs, linefeeds, bullets). Is there a way to PASS this =
information into XML? How? Actually, all 'white space' is translated to =
one space.=20

For big text elements, it would be nice to keep basic formatting like =
paragraphs. Can CR/LF be converted in a way to take them up by an XSL, =
and also by Nesstar (this should rather be addressed to the Nesstar =
folks.).

As far as I see, the DDI-DTD should contain some specifications allowing =
to pass layout information.

For my intermediate results, see: =
http://www.static.sidos.ch/Index_idc.htm
For additional remarks, see: =